Mercy Homer, Dressmaker, Clyde River
- 1 day ago
- 8 min read


This cover was mailed to Miss Mercy Homer at Clyde River, Nova Scotia, franked with a 5¢ blue Nova Scotia Chalon-head stamp (Scott # 10, the colony's 1860–63 Queen Victoria issue). It carries two backstamps: Halifax, N.S., OC 29 1867, and Shelburne, N.S., OC __ 1867 (the day is not legible on this example).
The Cover
The stamp is Nova Scotia's own pre-Confederation issue — the colony had only joined the new Dominion of Canada four months earlier, on July 1, 1867, but continued to use its existing postage stamps and rates under the old colonial legislation until the Dominion's Post Office Act took effect on April 1, 1868. The 5-cent rate paid the standard non-local Nova Scotia domestic letter rate of the day; it would drop to 3 cents once the new Dominion rate came into force the following spring.
The backstamps show the letter originating in Halifax on October 29, and then Shelburne, the distributing post office for that section of the south shore. Clyde River sat within Shelburne's mail district at this date, so the letter would have been forwarded on from Shelburne to reach Miss Homer. A Clyde River post office had existed since 1850, but if the letter passed through there, it wasn't backstamped.
Mercy Homer
Mercy A. Homer was born October 21, 1838 at Barrington, Barrington Municipality, Shelburne County — daughter of Obadiah Wilson Homer and Agnes Woolford Cox, and sister to Joseph Homer (b. 1841), Agnes W. Homer (1845–1909), and Maria Walker Homer (1848–1879). She would have been 28 or 29 when this letter was posted in October 1867.
The census record trail for her begins in 1881, well after this cover: she appears as “Mercy Homer” in the 1881 census, then “Miss Mercy Homer” in 1891 and “Miss Mercy A. Homer” in 1901, all at Barrington Head, Barrington Municipality. She is recorded as a dressmaker and a Presbyterian, and appears to have remained unmarried throughout — consistent with the “Miss” in this letter's address. She died sometime after her last known census appearance in 1901.
The actual 1881 census entry (Barrington, Shelburne, district 13, sub-district J, family no. 287) is worth a closer look: it lists a 42-year-old dress maker named Mercy Homer, English origin, Canada Presbyterian Church, birth year computed as 1839 — close enough to the October 1838 birth date to be the same person, with the usual rounding a census snapshot introduces. The household also includes Agnes Homer, 36, and a 2-year-old indexed as May Fox. Ancestry's indexing tags the record's gender as “Male” and flags Agnes as an “inferred spouse” — both look like artifacts of the indexing algorithm rather than fact, and the 1891 census confirms it directly: Mercy Homer, 52, dressmaking, Congregational/Canada Presbyterian, with Agness (45) explicitly recorded as “Sister,” occupation “Common School Teacher.” The same household also includes Mary A. Foy, 12, listed as a lodger. The 1901 census (Barrington Head) resolves who she was: Mercy A. Homer, head, 62, dressmaker; Agnes W., sister, 56, teacher; and Mary A. Fox, 22, explicitly recorded as niece.
Her parents were Obadiah Wilson Homer (1811–1876) and Agnes Woolford Cox (1817–1871). The Barrington Methodist baptismal register (1790–1814) records Obadiah's own birth and baptism precisely: “Obediah Wilson, son of Joseph & Molly Homer,” born October 23, 1811, baptized January 20, 1812 — “Molly” being a period nickname for Mary, consistent with his mother Mary Jane Wilson, and a Methodist baptism that, together with Obadiah's own 1837 wedding at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, suggests the family's Methodist ties ran for at least two generations before Mercy's generation was recorded as Presbyterian. The same register page includes a Cornelia, daughter of James & Jemima Cox, baptized a few weeks later in January 1812; given that Agnes's own father was named James Cox, this Cornelia may well be an older sister of Agnes's, though a shared first name alone isn't proof, and I haven't found anything that connects this particular James Cox to Agnes directly. The Nova Scotia marriage index lists Obadiah and Agnes's own marriage under Shelburne, but the actual bond and certificate are more precise: a marriage bond survives, dated December 16, 1837 “of Barrington in the County of Shelburne,” and the minister's certification on its reverse records the wedding itself: Sunday, December 17, 1837, at the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Barrington. The certification also names Agnes's father, James Cox, who signed as father of the bride, and among the witnesses is a Mary Jane Homer — almost certainly Obadiah's younger sister, Mary Jane Wilson Homer (b. 1823), about fourteen at the time.
Obadiah's own childhood was marked by loss: his parents, Joseph Homer Jr. (1783–1828) and Mary Jane Wilson (1786–1828) — married in 1805 and raising ten children at Barrington — died within days of each other in June 1828, the same week his brother Joseph was lost at sea; two more brothers, Samuel and Phillip Henry, were also lost at sea, in 1838 and 1840 respectively. Three brothers lost at sea across twelve years points to a family with a working stake in Shelburne County's fishing or shipping trade, consistent with the maritime economy of the area. One small naming note: Obadiah's sister Mercy Wilson Homer — baptized in the same Methodist register, born February 23, 1813 — died in 1837, the year before his own daughter Mercy was born — plausibly the source of her name.
Going back one further generation: Joseph Homer Jr.'s parents were Joseph Homer (1757–1837), born in Boston, Massachusetts, and Mary Atwood (1760–1857), married at Barrington in October 1779 per the township's own marriage register — the timing and origin fit the wave of New England Planters who settled the township in the 1760s. The Barrington Township's register of births confirms the next generation directly: “Joseph Homer Junior,” born April 28, 1783, to Joseph Homer and Mary Homer. Among their children was John Homer (1781–1836), a shipmaster who represented Barrington in the Nova Scotia House of Assembly from 1826 until his death in Halifax in 1836; his gravestone in the Old Burying Ground and a contemporary notice in The Colonial Churchman confirm the dates. That makes John Homer, MLA, a great-uncle of Mercy Homer. The connection isn't just a matter of matching birth years, either: among the sureties standing bond for Obadiah's 1837 marriage are John White Homer and Andrew White Homer of Barrington — both sons of John Homer, MLA, and so Obadiah's first cousins.
Mercy's mother Agnes died February 7, 1871, and her father Obadiah in 1876, both at Barrington. Her sister Agnes Wilson Homer (1845–1909) died at Pubnico, Yarmouth County. Her sister Maria Walker Homer (1848–1879) — an earlier family tree had given conflicting dates of 1860–1881, but a published genealogy of the Fox family settles it — married Dr. Charles James Fox at Barrington on December 31, 1877, and died at Pubnico on April 7, 1879. The same source records one child of that marriage: Mary Fox, born October 9, 1878, just months before her mother's death. That is almost certainly the “May Fox” of the 1881 census and “Mary A. Foy” of 1891 — and the 1901 census confirms it outright, listing her as Mary A. Fox, niece, age 22, in Mercy and Agnes's household. Orphaned as an infant, she appears to have been raised by her aunts at Barrington Head for at least two decades.
Clyde River or Barrington Head?
One discrepancy worth flagging plainly: every census record placing Mercy Homer at Barrington Head dates from 1881 onward, while this letter addresses her at Clyde River in 1867 — fourteen years earlier, and in a different community within Shelburne County (Barrington Head sits in Barrington Municipality; Clyde River is in Shelburne Municipality). The two places are closer than they might sound, though: only about 10–11 km apart as the crow flies, and directly connected by what is now Route 309. Both, notably, would have been served by the Shelburne post office — the office that appears as the second backstamp on this cover — so a letter addressed to Clyde River and one addressed to Barrington Head would have passed through the same distributing office. That routing wasn't a shortcut so much as the only option: Clyde River had no rail connection until the Shelburne and Yarmouth Railway opened in 1891, so in 1867 all its mail would have depended on the coastal and road links running through Shelburne town. In 1867 Clyde River itself was still a small Loyalist-era settlement built on lumbering, fishing, and subsistence farming, tracing back to a 1783 timber grant to Welsh-born Loyalist John Thomas.
A likely answer, though: Hutchinson's Nova Scotia directory for 1864–65 lists, under Clyde River, “Homer Mrs Agnes, dry goods” — a Homer woman keeping a dry-goods business there just two to three years before this letter was posted. The 1866–67 edition of the same directory goes further, listing “Homier Obed, shopkeeper” at Clyde River — “Obed” being exactly the short form of Obadiah used for Mercy's father in the Fox family genealogy (“Obed W. and Agnes (Cox)”), with “Homier” a plausible typesetting variant of Homer. McAlpine's directory for 1868–69 confirms it again, listing “Homer Obed, shopkeeper” at Clyde River — so three independent directory editions, spanning 1864 to 1869, bracket this letter's October 1867 date on both sides. Obadiah's occupation was evidently broader than the shop alone: a seafarers' register lists him, residence Barrington, as a mariner and part-owner (8 shares) of the vessel Sutcliffe, built 1849 and registered at Halifax — a combination of shopkeeping and shipping interests that was entirely typical of a Nova Scotia coastal merchant, and consistent with the family's earlier documented ties to the fishing and shipping trade. No other Homer household appears in the family's records outside Barrington and Barrington Head at any other date, and Mercy's own mother and father are independently documented as Agnes Woolford Cox and Obadiah Wilson Homer, so this is a strong case — short of an outright certainty, since directory entries alone don't prove identity — that the family kept a shop at Clyde River through the mid-to-late 1860s. The 1861 census, taken before any of this, lists “O. W. Homer” at Barrington — so the Clyde River chapter looks like a bounded one: still at Barrington in 1861, documented at Clyde River from 1864 through at least 1869, and back at the better-documented Barrington Head base by 1881. If so, it gives a concrete, mundane reason for a letter to find Mercy there in 1867: her parents' shop, with an unmarried daughter in her twenties, working as a dressmaker, an entirely ordinary presence in or near it. That would resolve the Clyde River/Barrington Head question rather than leave it open — the family's later, better-documented base at Barrington Head simply post-dates a Clyde River chapter that this cover and the three directories are, between them, the best evidence for.
Sources
Family and census details from online family trees citing the 1881, 1891, and 1901 Census of Canada, Nova Scotia Marriages 1763–1945, and North America Family Histories, 1500–2000. The 1881 index entry, the original 1891 and 1901 census pages (Barrington Head, showing the Homer and Fox household), Obadiah Wilson Homer and Agnes Woolford Cox's December 16, 1837 marriage bond and minister's certification (naming James Cox as father of the bride), the Barrington Methodist baptismal register (1790–1814) recording Obadiah's October 23, 1811 birth, a published Fox family genealogy (giving Maria Walker Homer's marriage, death, and daughter), John Homer's gravestone transcription and Colonial Churchman death notice, the original Barrington Township registers of births and marriages (Joseph Homer Jr.'s 1783 birth entry and Joseph Homer–Mary Atwood's 1779 marriage entry), and Hutchinson's Nova Scotia directories for 1864–65 and 1866–67 and McAlpine's directory for 1868–69 (Clyde River listings), and a seafarers' register recording Obadiah's ownership share in the vessel Sutcliffe, and the 1861 census (Barrington) were checked directly. Clyde River background from a detailed community history covering its Loyalist settlement and 1891 rail connection. Postal rate context from Postal History Corner, “Canadian Domestic Letter Rates 1867 to the Present Day” and “Local (Drop) Letter Rates: 1851–1968.” "Nova Scotian Postal History, vol. I, Post Offices (1754-1981)".




Comments