A Lady’s Cover to Clarence: Tracing the Marshalls of Annapolis County
- 1 day ago
- 4 min read


Identifying “Miss Jane Marshall”
The address gives no first initial, patronymic, or other identifier beyond the name itself — a real difficulty, since Marshall was one of the largest and longest-established family names in Clarence, a small rural Baptist community in Annapolis County. Because unmarried women only appear as dependents within a household head’s census entry, and married women are indexed under their husband’s surname, Jane is invisible in both the 1861 census (household heads only) and the 1871 census under her own name if she had since married — exactly the kind of gap that swallows women’s identities in 19th-century records.
A systematic check of every Marshall-headed household in the 1871 Clarence census — Alpen, Calvin, Edward, Francis, Hannah, Hiram, and John (a second “Hannah” entry in the index turned out to be a duplicate record of the same household) — found no daughter named Jane in any of them, nor any daughter of a plausible age given ages of parents and other children. One promising lead, a Mary Jane Marshall (b. 1838) belonging to the family of Hannah Ward and William Henry Marshall, briefly seemed a strong candidate on age and geography — but genealogical records show she had already married Abraham Banks in 1858, five years before this cover, and was raising children as Mary Jane Banks by 1863, ruling her out as “Miss” Jane Marshall.
The likeliest explanation, consistent with this systematic elimination, is that Jane Marshall married and adopted her husband’s surname sometime between July 1863 and the 1871 census, and has not yet been traced under a married name. She remains unidentified as an individual, though the family she belonged to is well documented.
The Marshall family of Clarence
The Marshalls of Clarence descend from Isaac Marshall, born June 10, 1748, in Ipswich, Massachusetts, who died December 6, 1824, in Clarence, Nova Scotia. He married Phebe Wellman on January 14, 1762, at Stoughton, Massachusetts, and belonged to a generation of Marshall siblings from Essex County, Massachusetts — including Anthony James Marshall (b. 1738, d. 1829 in the nearby community of Marshalltown, apparently named for the family), Elsabeth, Agnes, and Solomon — who emigrated together to Annapolis County as New England Planters.
Annapolis was one of the original thirteen townships Governor Charles Lawrence opened for Planter settlement in 1759, part of a wave of roughly 8,000 New Englanders, mostly farmers and fishermen, who resettled the Annapolis Valley and other Nova Scotia counties between 1759 and 1768 following the expulsion of the Acadians. The Marshalls’ migration from Ipswich to Clarence fits this pattern precisely — a full generation before the Loyalist wave of 1783 that populated so much of the rest of the province.
One documented line continues through David Marshall (b. September 17, 1786, in Clarence), son of Isaac, who married Elizabeth Beardsley in 1806 and later moved to Port Williams, Kings County, where both died in the 1860s–70s. By the 1860s, the family had multiplied into numerous branches — the 1871 census alone shows at least eight separate Marshall-headed households still in Clarence, descended from men with names like Solomon, Elisha, Obadiah, and Otis Marshall, according to published local genealogies.
By this period, Clarence itself remained a modest rural settlement — a small post office three miles from Lawrencetown on the Windsor and Annapolis branch of the Dominion Atlantic Railway, home to a single Baptist church and a steam mill — a fitting, tightly-knit community for a surname so deeply rooted that a single “Miss Jane Marshall,” addressed without further identification, could once have been reached by name alone.
Clarence itself
Situated in the Annapolis Valley just north of Paradise, Clarence’s history reaches back centuries before the Marshalls’ arrival: the land was originally used by the Mi’kmaq, and Acadian settlement in the 1600s is still evident from artifacts and foundations found on local farms. The area figured prominently in Wilmot Township’s earliest British land grants, in what is now Central Clarence. Once known as the “Back Settlement,” the community took its present name at a mid-19th-century meeting, honoring the Duke of Clarence and St. Andrews — later King William IV — whose brother Edward, Duke of Kent, had shown a strong interest in the area and spent time there in 1794. Among the community’s founding families are named the Banks, Elliott, Farnsworth, Foster, Jackson, and Marshall families — a notable detail, since the Fosters (of a separate cover and firm in this same collection, S. Foster & Co. of Annapolis Royal) share this founding-family status with the Marshalls, in the same small corner of the Annapolis Valley. Descendants of these founding families remain active in the community today, which today comprises Clarence East (Upper Clarence), Clarence, Central Clarence, and Clarence West (Lower Clarence), corresponding to Municipal Polling District 3 in the Municipality of the County of Annapolis.
Summary
This cover captures a personal letter sent along the Annapolis Valley mail route in July 1863, addressed to a young, unmarried woman from one of Clarence’s oldest Planter families — a family whose century-long roots in the community are well documented, even where the specific woman who received this particular letter has, so far, eluded identification.




Comments